Search The Web

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Double Layer Pumpkin Delight


Not only does fall make me think of soup, but also anything pumpkin, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin rolls, well you get the point.  I love the flavor of pumpkin and pumpkin just seems to be a treat that I enjoy in the fall. I made the following recipe, or a similar recipe several years ago but then I lost the recipe so I just threw together what I thought was in this wonderfully delicious treat.  I think the results are great.  The original recipe was made in a premade graham cracker crust, now if you have ever tried to share a small pie with a whole group of people, you know that it doesn't go far.  So I opted to make this recipe in a 9 x 13 dish so I could share its goodness with more friends.




Double Layer Pumpkin Delight

Crust Ingredients:

10 - 12 graham crackers ( 1 3/4 cup)

1/4 c. sugar

1/3 c. butter, melted (do not sub with margarine)

1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)


Instructions:

Crush the graham crackers until they are really fine. I prefer to smash them with a cup.  Adding them into a sealed zip lock back and crushing them with a rolling pin works great. Or if you are in the mood to clean another dish, throw them in your food processor and blend away.  

Once crushed add in the sugar, melted butter and cinnamon and mix well.  With the back of a spoon press the crumbs to the bottom of 9x13 baking dish.  Make sure crust is even.  

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Be sure and keep an eye on the crust.  You just want to toast it a little.  

Pull out of the oven and while it is cooling start on the middle layer.

Ingredients for cream cheese layer:

1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz package of cool whip
1 cup powder sugar

In a medium bowl start whipping your cream cheese. If it is not completely softened, you will have lumps, gradually mix in the powder sugar.  Once powder sugar and cream cheese are incorporated add the cool whip.  


Spread cream cheese mixture onto your completely cooled graham cracker crust. Set that aside and mix up your pumpkin topping. 

 Ingredients for pumpkin layer:


1 16 oz can of pumpkin puree (unsweetened)

2 small packages of vanilla pudding

1 - 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice

2  1/2 cups milk

In a medium bowl add all the ingredients and mix well.  I like to really taste the pumpkin so I tend to put in extra spice.  Start with the 1 tsp and add more if you would like a stronger pumpkin taste.  The pumpkin pudding will be a little thick.  (Each package of pudding calls for 1 3/4 cups of milk.  I cut that down because I wanted a thicker pudding.)

Spread the pumpkin mixture over top the cream cheese mixture.  Stick it in the fridge and let cool before serving.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...