Search The Web

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam


I love when fresh fruit comes on sale.  While grocery shopping this week, I kept passing people with carts full of  strawberries. I love fresh strawberries so I had to go find some for myself.  I ended up with 1 case of 8 1 lb containers of strawberries for just $4.99. I couldn't pass up a deal that good.  I got home and wished that I would have bought 2 cases.  
I decided to make freezer jam with most of them. It turned out so yummy.  I like to use Instant Clear Jel because it is cheaper than pectin and it uses less sugar.  You can purchase Clear Jel (#2888) from Alison's Pantry.

Fresh Strawberry Jam
5 cups fresh strawberries - smashed
Sugar to taste (about 1/2 - 2 cups) granulated sugar
3- 5 tablespoons Instant Clear Jel* (depending on how thick you like it.)

After taking the greens of my strawberries, I put them in the food processor or blender to smash to desired consistency.
Place smashed strawberries in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl, mix together sugar and clear jel. Clear Jel will clump up if it is not mixed well with the sugar.  Add the sugar mixture to the strawberries, stir until well mixed and sugar looks dissolved. Stir well, otherwise the starch will thicken in clumps. 
Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken completely. Once thickened, fill clean jars, seal  with a lid and place in freezer.

*Clear jel is an industry proven thickener derived from corn. You can make numerous mouth-watering recipes, starting with this one and branching out into your own creations.

Clear Jel will save you money, store longer, and thicken better than other thickeners like pectin and Sure-Jell. Will store 24 months from date of manufacture.

Instant Clear Jel will thicken whether heated or not. Regular Clear Jel requires heat to thicken.  If you recipe becomes too thick, add water; too thin add more sugar. Remember in all your recipes to mix Clear Jel and sugar together before adding to the mixture. (Info from www.alisonspantry.com)

Clear Jel is not commonly sold in grocery store. It can be purchased online or from your local Alison's Pantry Rep. To find a rep near you visit www.alisonspantry.com.

For more info on Clear Jel visit: http://www.lesleycooks.com/canning/clearjel2003.pdf
http://amyskitchen4.blogspot.com/2009/12/clear-jel-recipes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...