Search The Web

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole



I decided to try out a new recipe around Thanksgiving time.  This is so yummy, it could pass as a dessert and would be great hot with a scoop of ice cream. 

Ingredients

3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar (I reduced it to 1/4 cup and it still tasted great)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
4 Tbs. butter, softened but not melted.

Topping Ingredients

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 Tbs. melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 Tsp. Cinnamon (I used Pumpkin Pie Spice)


Instructions

In a medium bowl combine the cooked sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk and butter. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish.

In another bowl mix together brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans and cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice.  With a fork or pastry blender cut the butter into the brown sugar, flour, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and browned.

Serves 6 to 8.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I might not wait for Thanksgiving to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the sweet potatoes I make for every holiday--my family loves them, and my hubby does, indeed,often eat more for dessert. I keep saying that I'm going to make them in a pie crust one year to have sweet potato/pecan pie, but so far I've refrained--I don't think they could get any better, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make something similar too; first made them a few years ago! Everyone who has tried them loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting. This is my favorite way to have sweet potatoes. I think I'll experiment with replacing the sugar with honey this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...